Oct 2, 2011

Trek 2012

Short and simple, here are my idea's for next summer. Take a gander, and vote on the side for what interests you most. If you want to float another idea add a comment to this post and we'll float it to everybody:

#1: 3-4 day kayak trip in the San Juan islands, camp in national and/or state parks on uninhabited islands and look for Orca's. Cost should be pretty minimal, just kayak rentals and whatever it costs for each person to get to the area. We would drive up to San Juans (taking a ferry over to the islands).

#2: 6-8 day canoe trip on the Bowron lakes (click link for more info) in northern British Columbia. This is an awesome canoe trip through some really rugged territory. Full of bears, moose, and everything else. The trip is about 70 miles and the lakes make a natural square so we would start and end at almost the same point. There are some small portages between lakes and the lakes have good fishing. Cost would be for rental of canoes and getting to the area. Probably all meet in Seattle and drive up, it's about a 12 hour drive to the lakes from Seattle.

#3: 4-5 day rafting down the Rogue River. Jeff can give us more information on specifics, but basically lots of good rafting, hot weather, and lots of swimming. The area is beautiful, and fishing is usually decent. Cost would be for raft rentals, Jeff can guide? and we would have to get to Rogue River, Oregon.

#4: 3-5 day hike through the Enchantments near Leavenworth, Washington. This is a protected alpine wilderness area that only a small number of people each year are given permits to enter. We could expand or contract the time depending on peoples schedules and cost would basically just be travel to the area.

If anybody has any other suggestions let me know and we'll add them to the list. The info here is obviously not exhaustive but any of the above trips would be a lot of fun. Please mark the poll on the side for where you want to go, and please leave a comment with times that would work for you in the summer and we'll try and pick a timeframe that works with the most people's schedules.

Also, if anybody is up for a climb of Rainier in addition to the usual trek let me know. I'm going to be kicking around in the States a long time next summer and right now I think I would really like to do a 2-3 day climb of Rainier if some others want to give it a go.

8 comments:

  1. Z, thanks for pulling this together. Best time for me is latest in the summer that still works.
    --Jared

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it would have to be sometime prior to August. I vote for the Rogue! I've always wanted to do a multi day trip on the lower Rogue...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rogue is my vote. I think that San Juans and Bowron lakes sound awesome, but like Greg I have always wanted to do a trip on the lower Rogue. I am out of school in mid June. and start up late Sept. So July would probably be best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really would like to do the Enchantments. Is it possible though? Last I checked it was still by lottery only to get the permit.

    I am really good with any choices though, all sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definately am up for Rainier also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. San Juan's 1st
    Rogue 2nd
    Bowron 3rd
    However, all sound awesome.
    We should add Hiking in to a site near Machu Pichu in Peru!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kayak San Juans and Enchantments tie for first place for me. Enchantments would give us a better shot at a Sasquatch...

    ReplyDelete